Sunday, July 23, 2006

Jens Lekman, etc, Bowery Ballroom

Friday night I saw Jens Lekman, Frida Hyvönen, and (a little bit of) Beirut at the Bowery Ballroom.

I'd seen Jens Lekman a couple times before and this show found him playing a bigger room but quite comfortably. I recall being disappointed when his album came out after anticipating it for a while with the string of EPs that proceeded it. But I really liked the shows I saw before and I enjoyed this one again. He played quite a few new or new-ish songs, some of which may not translate the same once their recorded. Really, the way to experience Jens Lekman is, I think, on a mixtape or in concert. I guess that is kind of strange to suggest, but recorded Lekman in extended doses doesn't take as well for me as do his concerts. I think Jens Lekman is best as a surprise--heard unexpectedly amidst other things, or on stage leading you where you don't know he's going.

Frida Hyvönen is apparently also Swedish but sang a song with Jens in Finnish. Her set was pretty enjoyable and charming enough, although bits about International Red Day and apple eating between songs could be a bit tedious to some. I remember really not liking Regina Spektor when I saw her a few years ago yet I feel like comparing them. But I liked Frida much better. Supposedly her cd comes out in October, but you could buy it at the show.

It seemed really packed for when we arrived for the end of the Beirut set. The couple of songs we saw sounded good; fun but really quite competent as well, which I was a little surprised at considering the new-ness of this band. I think I will endeavor to see their free show at the swimming pool in August. Although I have thus far not summoned the motivation to see shows there.

There are Beirut downloads on their myspace.

No comments: