Saturday, October 15, 2005

Fiery Furnaces at Town Hall

So Last night we saw the Fiery Furnaces at Town Hall. When this show was announced, the venue choice seemed curious. But we went, in part because my old bones don't mind sitting. And I managed to get second row seats, which is probably the closest I have ever had at a concert type thing.

The Furnaces started with some Blueberry Boat/Gallowsbird's Bark songs and then Eleanor said "We're going to play our new album". I haven't heard the new one yet, so I'm not sure if they actually played the whole thing or just a long run of new songs. They ended with some old ones.

I enjoyed the show, but I miss the two guys who used to fill out the live band. I think the old drummer was a bit more nuanced whereas the new guy is just a pounder. I especially missed the 2nd key rig, which was replaced with a bass player. What happened to Toshi and Andy?

They didn't play straight through...Town Hall wasn't full...being so close tends to overpower the ears, but I still enjoyed the show. I think the album after this "we sing with grandma" one will probably be more likable and I hope they return to play some different stuff soon.

The Child Ballads was the opening band and I enjoyed them. They had guys from other somewhat famous bands. Their sound was somewhat like a rustic or rural Luna. Anyway, I don't know that they have anything out, but I will look for it if it comes soon.

Listen to a song (direct link)
(main site)

No comments: