Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Sufjan Steven and fake tattoo night

I saw night 4 of Sufjan Stevens at the Bowery Ballroom. Bunky and Castanets opened.

Sufjan and his band were in full Illinoise garb. The stage was set for a "pep rally" and cheers, complete with pompoms and chants in between songs. Overall it was a more zany vibe than when I saw Sufjan a year ago. This potentially detracted from the songs a bit, but it was overall a fun show. No songs from Michigan, though, which was a shame. (I left before the encore).

Get some Sufjan songs at Asthmatic Kitty.
One from Illinois is at junkmedia.
There are a few more at Insound. (You may have to search)
See pictures at BV.
Bunky were energetic; I think most people liked them. I preferred the record to the live show, I think because the slow parts on the cd were almost painfully slow live before the ripping parts of Born to be a Motorcycle, for example.

Some Bunky songs at their site.

Castanets were kind of dirgey. Not too interesting; maybe they are better on cd.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

gosh. what's with all the leaving before encores? it's sort of depressing and old seeming. encores are always a little embarrassing--but they're also nice treats, I'd never leave before an encore. (although once I left before a show had even started, because I'd fallen asleep waiting, for hours, amidst the noise and opening bands...when I woke up I was in no mood for a show. talk about depressing and OLD.)

blucarbnpinwheel said...

my feet get tired. more than my head, sometimes. this is the problem with showing up when the first band starts. after three and a half hours of standing, after being up all day, my feet were done.

blucarbnpinwheel said...

also, what is "all the leaving" about?. it's not that regular a practice for me. i even provide nice details about encore contents, sometimes.