Sunday, August 14, 2005

Pernice Brothers at Bowery Ballroom

Saturday night we saw the Pernice Brothers at a not-full Bowery Ballroom, which was a shame considering this was one of the best Pernice performances I've seen, and I've seen Joe and/or band at least 8 times in the past few years. I would attribute the strength of the performance to the cohesiveness of the band; Pat of Bigger Lovers and James of Royal Gun seem better integrated now. I saw a little bit of Royal Gun who opened and they seemed pretty good. Then was a fellow named Andrew Vladsteck, I think, who was pretty terrible yet highly pleased with himself. PBs played a lot of new stuff, but it sounded very different from when I saw JP play the songs solo. A very upbeat set, and then three songs solo, including In a Ditch from the Scud Mountain days, before a fullband encore. It's really a shame that the audience wasn't larger, but I think JP is happy with his career status at this point.

The Daily News had a show preview: Happy to be melancholy Here is another article.

No comments: