Saturday, August 06, 2005

Holding Steady

Last night we saw The Hold Steady at the Bowery Ballroom. Black Mountain was supposed to support, but they didn't show up. I guess whatever solar powered transportation unit they are using on their tour opening up for coldplay failed. Anyway, they were replaced by Priestess and Sam Champion.

The Hold Steady were kind of a mix of Springsteen and the Mountain Goats. the critical hyperbole is currently hard to miss: from the NY Times Rock and Pop Listings: "Imagine the best bar band you've ever seen. Now imagine it fronted by a guy with punk attitude, a def poet's way with words and some ripping yarns to tell." Craig Finn was energetic and motivational, although perhaps a little manipulative with his hyperbolic statements. "We're going to play as long as they let us." Well, not really; the show ended at about a quarter after one and I have seen several later shows at the Bowery.

Sam Champion was somewhat generic indie rock but I liked them better than some similar bands I have recently seen. I see them on the calendar for Mercury Lounge a lot and if they were playing the same night as someone else I wanted to see I would try and see them.

Priestess were an odd fit on the bill. Long haired and metal, parts of it were ok in a "something different for a change" kind of way, but they lost me at the long drum solo.

No comments: