Friday, July 22, 2005

M. Ward at Castle Clinton

Last night we saw M. Ward at Castle Clinton. He played some songs solo and some with a band, which is basically comprised of Norfolk and Western. The drummer used to be in the Decemberists, but I think she quit and has been replaced with the guy from the Jicks.

M. Ward is one of my favorite current recording performing individuals. I think his Transfiguration of Vincent album is one of the best albums of the decade, and his newer and older stuff is also very good. His albums feel timeless and he also seems to have old bones; his songs show him to be older than he looks.

It was a good performance with a good variety played from Vincent, Transistor Radio and some covers. I think I prefer M. Ward solo; I wasn't always crazy about the band. The drummer, I thought played too theatrically at times, which works for the Decemberists but not here. She also seemed nervous, which is understandable since I think bad timing could ruin a lot of the songs. Seeing this show made me regret the chances I passed up to see Ward open for Rilo Kiley and My Morning Jacket, since I think it would have been interesting to see him play with those bands (who I understand backed him on those tours). This is even though Ward has the kind of voice that can sometimes get lost in too much instrumentation.

At one point, M. Ward sang "I'm not Vic Chesnutt, I'm not Bob Mould"...but he is a vital artist who more people should hear. Obviously a lot more people are listening, since last time I saw him open for Lambchop it was pretty empty when he played.

No comments: