Tuesday, May 31, 2005

back on the chaingang

Last night we saw Word Wars, a documentary about Scrabble. It made me want to get good at Scrabble, even if the reward isn't so good. Also, all the good scrabble players are fairly messed up.

Official movie site
IMDB site

Links:
Dinosaur Jr is playing some expensive shows this summer.

all about Jandek

some stuff about Chris Ware

these bands so far at the Siren thing:
Spoon, Mates of State, Brendan Benson, VHS or Beta, Dungen, Q and Not U, The Dears

Oh, I also saw the Star Wars movie a while ago. It made me sleepy in parts but was not as silly as episode 1. Episode 2 I didn't see, so maybe I missed some things. Space seemed to be a lot more high tech in this one than in the older (but later) Star Wars movies.

Last weekend I went to a wedding. it was at this museum. Mr. and Mrs. Backwardscity formalized it. It was nice, as weddings should be. The Wilmington airport is very expensive. $7 for a bottle of water, bottle of soda, gum and chips? I think that's more than laguardia or JFK. Who would have predicted that? Also while in NC: caught an episode of Bibleman, starring the buddy guy from Charles in Charge. I guess the daily show doesn't need to make this stuff up.

The Bibleman website also links to a site that proudly brags to be " the only national organization fighting to repeal the Brady instant "registration" check, and is alone in pushing truly constitutional CCW legislation that allows law-abiding citizens to carry a firearm without a permit." wow. There is also acually a villain named "Wacky Protester" I am glad to be back home.

Oh and another Franzen piece in the New Yorker...he must have some incriminating evidence to hold over the editors' heads...

No comments: