Monday, April 25, 2005

other people's shoes

Today i impersonated a tourist. An aunt and a cousin are in the country so my mother and some siblings came in from the suburbs. They set the agenda. I kept reminding myself that it was about the people, not the itinerary. First they went by the Empire State Building. After deciding a two hour wait was not desirable, we went toward the Staten island ferry. It was cold up there. We went to SI and straight back, and walked up through Wall Street, pausing at Ground Zero and Trinity Church. From there up to Rockefeller Center, for the big event: the NBC studio tour. there was some clunky dialogue from the pair of tour guides during a tour of such important places as the SNL set (which is also the Carson Daly set) and the Dateline set (which doubles as the set for some medical show that airs Sunday a.m. s at 5:30. It was pretty much an hour long infomercial for NBC. One of the best moments was when they highlighted the fact that NBC Sports "focuses" on the "niche sports" meaning not basketball, football, baseball, hockey, soccer, etc.

Worst moment occured when my sister put her snapple in my bag without closing the bottle properly, ruining my copy of The Adventures of Augie March, which I had struggled with initally only to be pretty into over 200 pages in. Bah.

Also occured today: received an im from a longlost "buddy". Got new copy of New Yorker in the mail, which features a short story by H Murakami (whose Kafka on the Shore I enjoyed). hey, it's online.

2 comments:

rebecca said...

man, your blog is like a puzzle! sometimes there are entries to respond to and then they're not. I thoguht I was responding to that one up there...that might not exist anymore?...shoop. too tired. okok I've CLEARLY not stopped reading--I think I pormised I'd stop reading... I WILL if you make, but I can promise if you don't make me, I won't stop reading. hahaha. you're just TOO good! in fact, I've been forwarding bits to my 16yrold maine-kid. that's all. you've not left messenger-land FOREVER have you? please no.

rebecca said...

nice typing! [sadly, it's really more like "minding" than typing....]