Sunday, January 13, 2008

I came across Barack Obama on CNN today and was surprised to hear him referencing sermons (his word) he'd given in the past before launching into an extended metaphor about Moses and the Civil Rights era.

I thought the Moses bit was ok, if probably unnecessary, but sermons?

My definition of sermon was that these were given by members of the clergy, not politicians. A bit of googling revealed that the media joins Obama in terming these speeches "sermons", and also labels Clinton speeches to church congregations as "sermons". (I haven't heard Clinton refer to "sermons" that she has given.)

Perhaps I'm overreacting, but I'd rather than politicians didn't deliver sermons, especially to religious groups. Shouldn't religious groups receive their moral instruction from their clergy instead of campaigning politicians?

I don't mind politicians speaking in churches all that much, but delivering sermons seems a bit much to me.

No comments: