Sunday, April 01, 2007

Last night we saw two "generally favorably" reviewed bands (according to Metacritic) at the Mercury Lounge--The Long Winters and The Broken West. It was a good pairing and an enjoyable show. We'd seen the Broken West once before and I've seen The Long Winters a bunch of times before so I was pleased that my anticipation for a good show was validated.

I've listened a bunch to the new Broken West album and it's a good listen. They were a bit sloppy with the playing last night, but I like their formula of catchy songs.

The Long Winters were a treat. John Roderick was funny without being as crowd-hostile as he sometimes has been in the past. The newish guy playing extra guitar and keyboards and singing backup parts is definitely a ringer but a good fit. Smart bouncy fun and a good set from their several albums.
I never made a best of 2006 list but I think I'd put their last album up there if I did.


The Long Winters
Official Site
Myspace
Metacritic

The Broken West
Official Site
Myspace
Metacritic
This picture from e-liz's flickr shows the kazoos used by the Long Winters on their last song; also on sale for $3. I decided that I am too old for such impulse purchases, but maybe I shouldn't be.

No comments: