Sunday, January 28, 2007

Currently listening to this stuff on my portable music playing device:

Adem:
Love and Other Planets (2006)
Enjoyable but maybe a bit less memorable than his earlier album. I'm planning on spending more time with this one.

Arctic Monkeys:
Leave Before the Lights Come On EP (2006)

I should listen to the album, which I picked up but never really listed to. Pretty good single; the cover of Baby, I'm Yours was fun and quite a contrast from the original songs.

Art Brut:
Nag Nag Nag (single) (2006)

Good single which I'm enjoying after laying off their album for a while. Looking forward for whatever is next.

Bright Eyes:
Noise Floor (2006)

This is a rarities collection of things from singles and compilations, etc. I found it hard to listen to as an album and ending up skipping it a lot.


Cansei De Ser Sexy:
Cansei De Ser Sexy (2006)

Their website will give you a pretty good idea of what they're about. Dumb fun songs, with the fun to dumb ratio varying from song to song.

Cat Power:
eMusic solo session (2006)

Songs from The Greatest solo. I prefer the band versions. Also a bit too quiet to make really good in transit listening.


Nellie McKay:
Pretty Little Head (2006)

There was some news of controversy over this album's release (see wikipedia). It's a strange pop type record, almost Rufus Wairight with rap album feel (especially since it is too long in this form). But good, too.

Under Byen:
Samme Stof Som Stof (2006)

They're Denmark and I think they sing in Danish. Sort of a more pop Sigur Ros feel, to me.


Some songs from the Houston Party compilation: Do It Again (a tribute to Pet Sounds)
I listened to the Oldham Brothers "Wouldn't It Be Nice", which is almost good. Centromatic's Don't Talk (Put Your Head on My Shoulder) and The Wedding Present's take on Caroline No are good, though.



Also kept the most recent M. Ward and Yo La Tengo on there for a while longer.

No comments: