Sunday, October 01, 2006

Last night we saw the Mountain Goats, Christine Fellow and Jeffrey Lewis (with the Creeping Brains) at the Bowery Ballroom.

Jeff Lewis updated his low budget comic book documentaries from oversized pages to projected images. I was glad he was added to the show. It seems like his last album was only just released in the U.S. after being out overseas for a long time. I haven't bought any of his recordings, but I'm thinking about it. The singing and musicianship are miminimal, but the songwriting is compelling. He closed out with Williamsburg Will Oldham Horror, which pleased me.

Christine Fellows was pleasant sounding and her songs competently played. Not especially memorable, but people seem to like her. I'll check out the recordings at the right price.

The Mountain Goats played a lot of Get Lonely songs, and it was quiet enough that you could hear the cash register at the bar during the songs. Which I think was quite nice ambience. People were waiting for the encore songs, Best Ever Death Metal Band and No Children, pretty much the whole night. This was the longest set I've seen from Mountain Goats, and a good time.

No comments: