Tuesday, August 15, 2006

light, depressive humor

A while ago we saw Little Miss Sunshine. It was certainly one of the more likeable and enjoyable movies I've seen recently. Metacritic has "generally favorable" reviews. I was trying to think of a comparison movie, because I'm pretty sure The Squid and the Whale isn't it. I almost think Thumbsucker is a better comparison, but not quite what I want. LMS is a bit more Todd Solondz-lite than Wes Anderson, I think.

Stuffed into a VW bus, there's the Nietzsche obsessed teenager, the suicidal Proust scholar, the addict grandfather, the wannabe motivational speaker and the mom and unlikely pageant daughter. It's worth watching. The biggest criticism on metacritic appears to be a slur of "sitcom"-like, which is maybe true, but fine.

Movie Site

IMDB info

NY Times Review

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

the squid and the whale was horrendous. except for the last half minute. I wish I could have just read a report on the first giant horrid bulk of it, and then seen the last 30 seconds. or maybe minute.

blucarbnpinwheel said...

I know that the World Book continuity issue was fairly egregious, but I liked S&W ok.

Anonymous said...

puke. for all the glory and love it got, it was exhausting by the time I finally got around to seeing it. I kept thinking "gross" and "indulgent" [and it's not that I don't like dreadful stories--I love Breaking the Waves, for example...also I laugh at House of Yes...etc. s&w was justawful though. it wasn't the darkness that made it awful--just the way it felt so tired and dirty...like sunday afternoons when you're a kid and know that you'll have to go back to school tomorrow, and nothing's happening today. barf.] ... I liked the last half minute though, a lot... and I wouldn't have had that without the langoring [that's a word I just made up that means languidness] awful building up to it...I suppose.

blucarbnpinwheel said...

Hmm. Well, I'm trying to think back to what I liked about S&W. I can't think of much to defend against your criticisms, because I think "gross" and "indulgent" can be lobbed against most any movie of that type and stick. I guess a lot of people didn't care for Me and You and Everyone..., and if they said "gross" and "indulgent" I wouldn't have much response.

I guess parts of it are fairly funny, with the Pink Floyd singing and tennis pro. I liked bearded Jeff Daniels, I think he looked funny.

But anyway, yeah it probably is kind of tired and dirty but I liked it anyway.

Anonymous said...

(the pink floyd part was funny.)

me and you and everyone we know was pretty and thoughtful.