Saturday, August 05, 2006

Last weekend

while in Chicago, we saw the following at the Pitchfork Music Festival:

Man Man

We realized that it was really hot when we got there for this set. I put on a bunch of sun block. Man Man was pretty much the same as the last time we saw them, but more impressive for the fact of doing it in the heat.

Mountain Goats

We crowded back in for this set. Mostly new songs and some very old ones. A lot of talking to the big crowd. The fake intro to Imagine was funny, as mentioned by many. I'm not sure if new fans were won, but it left me wanting to have the new album and hoping to see them properly this fall.

Art Brut

Everyone loved them, and they were pretty great. I hope the second album contains a good ratio of hits. The new stuff live seems ok, but not the same level of brilliance.

Ted Leo & Rx

We didn't have a good enough view to see the bloody gash referenced by others. But the old stuff sounded really good, and the new stuff I look forward to hearing the recordings.

Silver Jews

I was almost surprised that so many people wanted to see them. I enjoyed seeing the songs live, but not really much new to the set.

Mission of Burma

For me, the best performance. So powerful, I appreciate standing a football field away. I kind of want to see them when they play around NY, but then I get scared for my ears.

Devendra Banhart

People seemed to be into this, but I found it not that impressive. He didn't seem to be doing the extra-creepy-put-on voice too much in concert.

Yo La Tengo

A lot of new stuff, which sounded good, but disappointingly short set. I still like them lots.

Spoon

A good performance; they played the hits unlike some of the other acts. A couple of new songs were good too.

$1 for 25 oz. of bottled water: The hero of the weekend. I think I drank 6 bottles on the Saturday.

The food options were not terrible. I didn't consume any alcohol because I was vexed sufficiently by the heat.

It was a good time.

No comments: