Thursday, August 24, 2006

Bookeating

Last night was the 826NYC benefit, Revenge of the Bookeaters. I can vouch for the 826 people to some extent as they sent a bunch of people up to the Bronx to read aloud books to kids at my request. Overall I'm still ambivalent or maybe even hostile to the concept of charity, but anyway...

John Hodgman hosted. Jonathan Coulton sort of cohosted. The idea of theme songs for each of the guests was a good idea, but not really executed.

Jon Stewart and Ben Karlin from the Daily Show read from America: The Book. I think Jon Stewart is more likeable than funny in many ways, but that's worth a lot.

John Roderick played three songs and talked quite a bit as well. I felt like people were hating him and I kind of felt bad on his behalf, but that could be totally inaccurate. I do think a lot of people were unfamiliar with him and the Long Winters. And I don't really know who compares JR to Michael Stipe as was done in the program bio.

Dave Eggers introduced a video montage of 826 things and some artistic narrations. I will give him credit for his point that "just because [their facility] is clean...doesn't mean that they have enough money." It was kind of a shame that he didn't read anything, as I'd enjoyed his reading at Downtown for Democracy a few years ago.

Sarah Vowell was joined by Eric Bogosian for a reading of a newish essay thing. It was pretty much in line with her whole deal, which was neat enough.

Sufjan Stevens played maybe about 5 songs. People were loving him, but he and his band seemed kind of nervous to me. There's definitely a Sufjan backlash in effect and I think this performance illustrated it for me. The arrangements are all pretty similar. The sound of the band somehow wasn't convincing for a bigger room. It was more a "look at that" experience than a real connection...like looking at the band that played in old episodes of Shining Time Station.

David Byrne played a country-ish set and it was great. Definitely the highlight. I could have used a lot more, but oh well. The duet with Sufjan Stevens on "Saginaw, Michigan" is what most people will remember I guess.

Kathryn Yu has nice photos.

Stereogum has audio, video and a write up.

BrooklynVegan
has a mix of stuff too.

Rollingstone pictures and write up.

No comments: