Saturday, July 01, 2006

the rain held off

The sky was a bit worrying, but no real rain last night at Prospect Park for Celebrate Brooklyn with TV on the Radio, Matt Pond PA and Voxtrot. It was really packed out by the time TVOTR started, so I was glad to have gotten there early for a seat. A whole bunch of Antibalas joined TVOTR during some songs, as well as some back up singers. (I didn't realize that the Antibalas park show was today--I missed it for the soccer.) I think TVOTR rose to the occaision of the big crowd, playing another impressive set. The show was being taped by Interscope for some future purpose. Why the album has no US release date baffles me.

Matt Pond cut their set short due to the threatening sky, which was perfectly OK with me. Pleasant but not especially interesting.

Voxtrot are a band that I gather are big on the blogs. They seem like the kind of band whose song you'd slip into a mixtape. Kind of like early Belle and Sebastian without the girl, or a wimpy Shins, or the Smiths without edge. But they seemed very nice, and energetic and happily competent, so I wish them well.

No comments: