Sunday, July 17, 2005

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Last night we saw Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

As we were waiting to enter the theater, we overheard a girl in line praising the earlier Wonka movie by gushing about Gene Hackman. (I guess she meant Gene Wilder.)

Anyway, contrary to some reviews I didn't have a problem with the Johnny Depp performance. I enjoyed the visuals and thought that overall it was pretty well put together. I gather that many people could do without the flashbacks; I think they are a casualty of the need to somewhat reboot the movie from the first version. I found the Danny Elfman songs amusing in their genre-hopping, but somewhat unnecessary.

I thought the kid actors were pretty good. The movie looked neat, and how many dvd extras will this one have? At least a billion.

Also it was nice to see the trailer for Corpse Bride.

I want more original Tim Burton movies; take a break from "re-imagining" things, please.

No comments: