Thursday, June 09, 2005

imagination ain't kind on us tonight

Saw Spoon last night at Webster Hall, a big room with a big crowd. There is a setlist at fluxblog. (I changed the title of this post after realizing that I had possibly lifted the previous one from fluxblog. unconscious borrowing, of course.) The clientele opened, they seemed pretty good. British, fairly mellow is how I described them to a couple of california girls who asked me about the opener before the show. They didn't believe me, but after seeing them that is as good a description as any. The singer seemed to be chanelling Thom Yorke's fashion sense in a way that half-expected them to pull a cover of creep out of the air.

Spoon opened with the first couple of songs from the new album and played a pretty good mix of Gimme Fiction, Kill the Moonlight and Girls Can Tell. Only a few older songs, but I enjoyed Metal Detektor and Me and the Bean among others. Midway through it clicked just how many of their songs are really good. Eno is good on the drums and the Britt Daniel songs are among the best in rock nowadays.

Going to see them again tonight. I hope they mix it up a bit, but am looking forward to the show.

No comments: