Sunday, May 08, 2005

Earlimart at Bowery Ballroom

On Friday night we saw Earlimart and Okkervil River at the Bowery Ballroom.

I was surprised by how many people were there to see OR, but I see they've started to get lumped in with the Decemberists and I think the attention is rubbing off. Comment heard : "I like how the main guy is rocking out despite the fact he can't sing or play guitar." Somewhat accurate. The upbeat stuff was scrappy and likable. The song "Black sheep boy" which I believe is the title of their latest album plodded. I'm not so into the plodding.

Earlimart played really well. I last saw them open for Grandaddy, which as a very good pairing. I hadn't heard the new songs before, and they fit in. Of course, the criticism of Earlimart is that the songs tend to bleed together. But "We drink on the job" is one that stands out, and they must have a few more like that in them.

No comments: