Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Scenester for a Day

I started my evening of rock and roll at the Mercury Lounge, where I caught the early show with the Raveonettes. The show was pretty good, but was a bit too corportate feeling for my liking. The main duo of the Rs was augmented by drummer, bass and guitarist, all of whom seemed skeevy. Additionally, they used backing tapes for the vocals of songs from the new album. I understand they had some fancy guests on the album, but hearing Ronnie Spector piped in to sing on a cover of My Boyfriend's Back, removed all specialness from what could have been a nice moment.

From the ML, I headed out to Brooklyn and Northsix for a show benefitting the Save Darfur Coalition, Doctors without Borders and Human Rights Watch. Speakers representing the organizations appeared, as did the following bands: The Fatales (who organized the show), Jeffrey Lewis, Kevine Devine and Stars.

The Fatales: pretty good for a local band. Kind of shimmery sharing influences with Interpol, maybe. I only saw a couple songs.

Jeffrey Lewis: A lot of fun live, complete with "videos" consisting of comic style imitations flipped through dylan style. I think the live show was considerably more compelling than the recorded stuff i've heard. His website.

Kevin Devine: I wanted to like this more than I did. It was fairly bright eyes.

Stars: Imagine your high school drama company. The set builders and writers became the Decemberists. The stars of the production became Stars. They are likeable; I just picked up the most recent album at the show.

No comments: