Sunday, April 10, 2005

Last night, Fiery Furnaces

Blood on the Wall opened. The first song was very pixies, the next few maybe somewhat less so. Seemed fairly raw. Here is what I learned about them online. I thought the drummer bore resemblance to the drummer of White Magic. Turns out it's the same guy. Also the other two are brother and sister.

I thought Dios Malos were good. Somewhat grandaddy-esque, is what I had heard and they have a similar thing going on with the keyboards but the scope of the lyrics is very different.

An interesting set from the Fiery Furnaces last night. I think they abbreviated their performance because Eleanor couldn't really sing. It wasn't overwhelmingly evident during the first 40 minute Gallowsbird/Blueberry remix set, when she could mostly get away with sing-speak-rapping. They then played a few new songs, with only Matt and Eleanor. They finished with a couple of EP songs. By the end, Eleanor was clearly exhausted and it the problem with singing was obvious. Overall, I am glad I went to the show but it was a disappointing performance considering how good they have been other times I have seen them. I wonder if this is the end of the nonstop shows...The songs from EP and the new songs seem like they need to be delivered more conventionally.

No comments: