Saturday, April 09, 2005

the bad news...and then the good

Last night we saw Fever Pitch. I wasn't too enthusiastic about the fact that the focus of the Nick Hornby book, which focused on the English soccer team Arsenal, had been changed to the Boston Red Sox. I also didn't like the Americanizaton of High Fidelity, although that film worked better. The English film adaptation of Fever Pitch was much better. You need to click through to see the ridiculously racy cover of the dvd box for the English version that connects on no level to what the film is about. If any girls have issues with me dissing the romantic comedy format, keep in mind that the alternative version I am recommending has Colin Firth in it. The acting and dialog of this american version were about on par as when there is a really bad celebrity host acting on Saturday night live. It was pretty terrible. Jimmy Fallon and Drew Barrymore, who independently seem at least nice, were unbearable together.


Here are some interesting NY Times articles:

The Song of the Hyperliterary
Cites the novelist wannabees in the Decemberists, Okkervil River and Joanna Newsom.

Wilco's Jeff Tweedy discussed online filesharing and downloading with Stanford U. prof Laurence Lessing
I am reading Lessig's book Free Culture, now. It's interesting.


Also:
I bought my first "full-length" Itunes album today--the BSides collection by EELS. (The link should only work if you have Itunes.)

Also today, while at the Housing Works Used Book Cafe I made a couple of pretty good cd purchases-- promos of the new Vic Chesnutt and EELS albums. The EELS album isn't even officially out yet, so that's neat. I tell myself that even though buying promos is supposedly wrong, the money's going to a good place.

Tonight we see the Fiery Furnaces at a terrible venue. We'll see how it goes. Supposedly there is new stuff in the works from them.

Today I purchased tickets to go see Joe Pernice, Raveonettes and Earlimart in coming weeks. Also on deck is Spoon. I also want to catch Antibalas at Tonic in one of the coming Thursday night series. Anyone want to go?

No comments: